So the last few days I have gotten a ton of writing done. In fact, yesterday alone I wrote about three thousand words (the book is now at a little over ten-thousand)! I think that is an all-time high in my writing career. The book is coming along smoothly and I have enjoyed writing this chapter (Chapter Three if anyone is wondering) and it has been interesting exploring my characters.
I feel as if the work before this chapter has been a little challenging as it is really hard for me to start stories, but I’ve kept on trucking and it has gotten a whole lot easier. The story itself has been really interesting to write and as I’ve gone along in it I have begun to discover that this story will take a long time to tell. Right now I am expecting it to be a five book saga, with the first one being the shortest and least complex in the series.
For those of you who don’t know, this book has been in my head for over three years now. My first entry in my outline for it is dated August 22, 2017. You may ask why am I only at 9% through the story then? Well, I hit a bit of writer’s block, which I should have just pushed through, but I didn’t. The draft I’m working on is technically the second draft of the story. I wrote the first draft back in the fall of 2017. But, when I got to about the halfway point, I realized it was not good at all, and I made a huge error. I tried to go back and rework some of it. This ended up in creating a confusing draft with various details chopped. I got worn out with it and just didn’t touch it. The story continued to pester me in my mind those two years, but I ignored it. Two years later, I picked my outline back up. I had a tough choice on my hand, do I continue to push through the awful and confusing draft or restart. It was a painful choice as I had close to thirty-thousand words in that draft, but ultimately I decided to restart. And, it has proved to be the best choice I’ve made in my writing. I made a few changes to the story, particularly in how the story starts, the original starting scene was completely chopped and I made a new one. And it definitely fits for the character and has been a more enjoyable write.
As of right now, I’m a little over ten-thousand words and am only about 9% of the way through the story. I hope to be at over 50% of the way through the story come end of Spring.
My goal for 2020 is to finish the rough draft of this story, and begin to edit it. Then if I have time left, I might begin working on the outline for book two, but it is more likely that I will be saving that project for 2021. It’s a reasonable goal I think, and I will be trying my best to keep it. I also plan on trying to keep this blog going somewhat consistently, updating it at least once every two weeks with updates on the book or an article. But, life happens so we’ll see about that.
From my pen to your paper, may our swords never clash.
Thanks for reading! If you want to get updates on when new blog posts come out, subscribe to my newsletter, “The Raven,” and be the first to get updates and exclusive updates on my writings! If you want to contribute to the conversation, please comment below! I will try to respond to all comments!
2 replies on “Update On Book One in #tIRS”
Good for you for making the decision to start fresh! Sometimes you do have to go backwards in order to move forward. That’s the only way to grow if you really can’t fix what you have now. Best wishes for your series!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks!! It definitely was a tough decision, but in the end, it worked out well!